Monday, October 4, 2010

Isaac & Ishmael Project - Two Worlds United


May 15th 1958



For a decade we’ve handed out Bibles and loaves of bread with a message inside in the shape of a cross:



“God
is
love.



From: The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.



He has a Son.



His name is



Jesus.”







Has it been ten years? It seems like only a day. I’m blessed above all men. For ten years I’ve worked beside the most beautiful of God’s creation. Ten years we’ve handed The Holy Scriptures to hands accustomed to heavy burden and bloodshed. We’ve shared His words through blood stained streets: “Come unto Me all you who are weary and heavy laden for My yoke is easy, My burden is light.” We’ve explained that the bloodshed that matters has already been splattered. And my favorite words…God is love. I love that. To this day, those three words still get to me.



Today we wed. I love that







May 16th 1958 TWO WORLDS UNITED



Married! Oh Gracious God I thank you for your divine wisdom and great love. You have ordained and orchestrated this marriage. I am a direct descendant of Abram through Ishmael and Sarah is of the lineage of Abraham through Isaac. We are one. Two worlds united. Now, Lord, allow our union to bring together the brothers at war. And should you bless us with children Sovereign Lord, use them to usher in your divine plan prepared from the foundation of the world. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.



May 15th 1959



Keeping our hands to the plow we continue the work the Lord has set before us. Today we celebrate our first anniversary and a great gift.



I have not heard from my mother since the night she fled to the missionaries. My in-laws told me all they knew was that she was rescued by American missionaries being led by a strong, kind young man wearing the brightest white clothes they had ever seen.



We never heard from any of them again…until today! A formal cover letter graciously advised that at the request of the sender upon her death this letter should be sent to her son :



“My Dear Son, I have watched you from afar and have held you close everyday in my heart and prayers. I know my vanishing may have caused you pain, but for me to stay I surely would have been stoned to death as you know and a greater pain would have been inflicted upon you. I have remained hidden for your safety because had you known my whereabouts you most certainly would have attempted to find me and disclosure of your location would have gotten you executed as well. This I could not bear. I know Jehovah God; The Creator of Heaven and Earth is your God. He is also mine and we will see each other again – never more to part. This I look forward to. Until then; “weary not in well doing, for in due season we shall reap if we faint not.” Always remember even when things happen we don’t understand – GOD IS LOVE – And love never fails. I love you, see you soon. Mother.”



The rest of today – we wept; for joy, for sorrow, for healing.

TO BE CONTINUED...next - Two Worlds Divided
.

No comments: