Sunday, May 2, 2010

Snowbirds

It looks smaller now that most of the campers are gone. I can see from one side to the other. Our neighbors Bert & Rachel left a week ago. We leave tomorrow.


It feels like the end of summer; like the end of camp; like the end of vacation. But, it’s May.

Sounds of bike riders passing and swimmers splashing are replaced with an occasional swish from the wind.

Glad to have met these fine friends, sad to see them pack up and head “home.” Some we’ll never see again. Some will go home for good. Others will be back for another round of fun in the Florida winter sun.

I’ve met many folks in my life, but the youngest and wealthiest, I’ve met here; “Snowbirds.”

I know what the locals say; “Buckle your seat belts the silver hairs are back… When I get old I’m gonna move up north and drive slow in the left lane... If it’s snowbird season, can’t we just shoot ‘em.”

I say, “There’s a wealth of wisdom surrounding us all, just look for the silver lining.”

Odds are you’ll see the treasure several times today. What you do is up to you. You may ignore; go around or even honk at the silver lining.

But to glean from the treasures within you’ll have to stop and tap into what lies beneath.

To open the tap you only need to ask. To drink deeply from the wealth that lies within you only need to listen.


“The silver-haired head is a crown of glory, If it is found in the way of righteousness.”






3 comments:

Denise said...

Amen my friend, such beautiful truth spoken.

Glynn said...

Welcome back, Doug! And a safe journey home!

S. Etole said...

It's good to see you here again ... safe travels.