Friday, October 8, 2010

Rapture


Is the word "rapture" even in the Bible?

    No – but the definition of the word is. The Bible teaches of a time when...

 
    Also see:
"The Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words." 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18


1 Cor. 15:50-58 ~ At the last trump we shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye

~ In My Father's house are many mansions;
if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.  John 14:2-3

What if I screw up a split second before it happens– am I toast?

I've heard it explained like this:

Let's say you invite me over to your place for dinner.

I show up at my appointed time and you answer the door – you're a mess. You have flour on your face. The table is only half set. The meat loaf burned and you spilled a whole gallon of milk on the kitchen floor when I rang the door bell.

You apologize and ask me to forgive the mess as you invite me in. Although everything isn't perfect I can see you were trying, you were expecting me and preparing for my arrival. I will come in and help you clean up and we will go out for dinner together.

But…

If I show up at my appointed time and you answer the door – in your pajamas. You look at me and think... what in the world are you doin' here- I'm kinda busy. But you say; "Hi, nice to see you… um…"

Your bowl of popcorn is waiting on the couch and your favorite movie is paused on the tube.
I look at my watch, "Didn't you invite me…"

Then it dawns on you. You scratch your head and say, "Oh, yeah, dang was that tonight, I totally spaced it out, um, maybe I can rustle up something…" you remember your movie… "But I'm not really prepared. Can you come back another time?"

I will leave and go have dinner…without you.

In the same way, The Lord will come at His appointed time and if we are not prepared – He will leave and go to a dinner that has been prepared. As a matter of fact; your name is written on an invitation to this dinner. He hopes you will attend.


More information about the rapture and end time events

  • I don't believe in that stuff – so why should I even care?
  • Can I know for sure if I'm ready?
  • When will it happen?
  • Who goes? Who stays? What about kids?
  • What if I miss it?


Being prepared is in the preparation, just as the destination is in the journey.

 "Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:12-14

The Lord doesn't require perfection but and acceptance of His invitation and your best attempt to prepare for His coming.

The good news is that we don't have to have all the answers. We couldn't if we tried. We simply need to trust the simplicity of His great love and accept His outstretched-nail-scarred hand. And allow that hand to lead us.

Dear Lord Jesus, I'm not sure about all this stuff, but I do feel a tug at my heart. I choose to believe that's You. And whether or not I feel like it or understand it I'm asking you to come into my heart, forgive my sins and help me to live for you. I want to be born again.
I choose to believe that You are the Son of God. You died for my sins. And You're coming back again. I want to be ready to meet you. With Your help, I will be ready. Now here I am. Please show me the way, and help me to follow. Amen.
.

3 comments:

a sojourner said...

amen. on a strange note Doug, i saw a quote last week on a blog elsewhere where the guy said, "Heaven is a place for prepared people." ...didn't know what to think about that remark. but i don't want to let go of that Hand. even moreso, i hope He holds tighter onto mine.

Doug Spurling said...

a sojourner - thanks for your comment.

Yeah, we can get all tangled up in semantics can’t we? "Prepared" is it the process of being prepared or completely prepared – when do I stop, when can I say I've done enough?

As for me;I gotta keep it simple. If a child is attempting to help with the dishes and drops a plate – the effort is rewarded, the attitude of the heart is what counts – so what if they just made a mess all over the kitchen floor…

And as far as Him holding on tight; you can take that to the bank.

Romans 8:37-39
37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

a sojourner said...

thanks for that reminder Doug! i read this same scripture on a post in the back forty yesterday. will add it to my blog. you're right about the attitude of the heart as well. i like your anology. think the truth of the matter is, we're all going to be shattered dishes. i need to gain more understanding about our Potter and being the clay.