Sunday, December 16, 2018

Imperfectly Perfect


Finally found it.

Year after year, I searched for a kneeling Santa. Hat in hand, head bowed, kneeling before the Christ Child. But, never found one I liked, until this year. I found it online. It arrived the next day.

It’ll be perfect, I thought.
My plan was to stand him off to the side of our current nativity. But I didn’t consider the size. Santa was twice as big as Mary and Joseph.
I preferred white ice cycle lights, they'd be perfect, I thought. But, my wife preferred multi-colored. I hung multi-colored ice cycle lights up one side and down the other, along the front gable.

It’ll be perfect, I thought (in spite of the color).

Only, the last string of lights had two sections near the end that wouldn’t light—even though they'd all worked when I tested them from the ground. 
The next day, my wife bought a new string of lights. So, up I went again, removed the old and replaced with the new…now, it’ll be perfect, I thought.
Only, the new string was about eight feet shorter than the first.

So, I attached the old string to the end of the new and made it to the end of the front gable with plenty to spare. I fastened the rest of the string, as far as it would go, along the eave on the side of the house.

Now, the front looked good, but, when you round the corner, along the side, you notice the two sections where the lights are out.
But, at least the front was perfect…or so I thought, until my wife said we needed a star, up on the peak.
I searched for a star all over town. Nothing. I never knew it could be so hard to find a simple lighted star.
Finally, at yet another store, looking at all the different lights on display. Rudolph and Frosty and Santa and Snoopy, wreaths and trees and even Grinches, but not a single light up star.
I can’t believe this— "Lord…help me find the perfect star." I whispered right out loud standing there in the isle.
And then I saw it, right in front of me, was a light up snowflake about two feet wide, and next to it, about the same size, sat a cross that would light up as pretty as you please.
Now, after a zip tie or two, with the cross in front and the snow behind, if you swing by our house at night you’ll see at the peak, a star as bright as can be.
But, if you look real, real, close, you’ll see, above the nativity, above the, too-big, kneeling Santa, near the corner of imperfection, at the peak where the multi-colored ice cycle lights lead, above all the glitter and lights, on top of it all…you'll see, the star is not a star at all…but a cross.
It’s perfect.


A friend of mine, Sandra Heska King, recently wrote on her Facebook page:

'Every year I think I’ll get a new nativity set. I always get stuck by the loose staple and have to dig the nail out of the top so the angel can suspend herself. The characters are a mix of sizes—originals and ones the kids collected in Sunday School. The wise men would squish the camels if they climbed on. (We also have four baby Jesus.)

Every year I think I’ll get a new set. And every year I set out the same one we’ve had for a bazillion years.'

I replied:

That your nativity is not perfect is perfect. Exactly why the virgin gave birth to a Son, and they called him Immanuel, which means, God with us...the Perfect being with the imperfect.


~


For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given; Isaiah 9:6-7 



 I pray you have a very merry, blessed and joy filled Christmas filled with His presence...the best presents of all.



In the midst of the clutter, and mess, and noise and stress and chaos of it all, just smile and say...
it's perfect.


















Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow. Isaiah 1:18




















For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18

1 comment:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Yes, perfectly imperfect, Doug! I love the star/cross - God works in wonderful and amazing ways, does he not?
Have a Blessed Christmas!