Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's a ghost!

“…Night fell while he was there alone.

Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!”

 But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here!”

Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”

“Yes, come,” Jesus said.

So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted.

Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?”

When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped. 33 Then the disciples worshiped him. “You really are the Son of God!” they exclaimed." (Matthew 14:23-33)

Trick or Treat

There are those who read the above story and think it’s just a trick. The whole God thing is just a trick to get-my-money. And others think the story is a treat. They think the whole God thing is a treat all about bless-me-bless-me-gimme-gimme; make me walk on water but don’t give me no stormy sea.

The truth is: night will fall and we’ll be alone. Sometimes we’ll walk on water and other times we’ll fall. Storms will come – no doubt about it. But there’s one thing for sure I know. If we only cry out like the sinking disciple “Save me, Lord!” a nail scarred hand will reach out to save.

As the story goes they climbed back into the boat and the wind stopped. The night may still be dark and we may still be in the sea. But if by faith we will only believe that Jesus truly is the Son of God and He’s in this boat with us, we can truly begin to feel the calming of the wind, the waves and the sea.

Jesus comes to us when we are in trouble and far away, fighting strong wind and heavy waves, in the dark of night, and we, like the disciples, may not recognize Him, we may be terrified and think He’s a ghost. But, if you listen I think you’ll hear Him say, “Don’t be afraid, take courage, I am here.”

He's listening...are you?
.

No comments: