Saturday, November 26, 2011

Mr. Johnson

It’s just one conversation with the man, yet, it reflects his life, a walking talking billboard for Jesus. And shows how God sees, cares, always loves, and then at times…even loves, just a little bit more.

Disclaimer: my memory may have muddled some of the facts, but the Truth, remains crystal clear.

In loving memory of Dick Johnson. 1934—2021.



“Mom had told us all along we would have $60,000 to split between my brother and me. But, after Mom died things must have changed.” Dick Johnson said it flat with a shrug of the shoulders and no emotion either way.

“Dad, my step dad, always liked my brother better.” His blue eyes drifted downward, but only for a moment.

“I always attend my high school reunions. We stay with my brother, Bill.” He spoke the words with no animosity, no hurt, but with a breath of excitement, like a grandfather telling a story to a child.

I could be his son considering our difference in age. His seventy-something years only showed in his skin. Deep-blue-skies were his eyes, hair, thick and silver as a tinsel tree, and his teeth, his own teeth, were still a pearly white. His face wore a permanent smile like a Christmas morning child.

“Bill was in charge of settling the estate after Dad passed.” Dick’s beautiful blue eyes got shiny. “I never brought it up, but wondered about the money. Finally, Bill spit it out. ‘You know, Dad left all of the $60,000 to me.’”

He shifted his feet transferring his weight from one foot to the other, looked toward heaven, and his smile broadened. Then he looked at me straight and clear. “God has always taken such good care of me.”

Blue skies filled and almost spilled. 

“When we drove to the reunion I told my wife, it hurt. Not because I wanted the money. But, being loved less, hurt.”

I nodded and then shook my head as if to say, that’s just not right. But he didn’t tarry—

He planted both feet solid and spread his arms with palms open wide toward heaven, “But God. He takes care of me. He knows what I need.” Then his blue skies opened wide and he couldn’t talk for a moment because that big smile was in the way.

“When we got to the reunion, someone I hadn’t seen in twenty-five years poked me in the chest and said, ‘Dick Johnson, you saved my marriage. The last time we were here my husband Bob got so drunk I was going to divorce him. But you took him aside and got in his face. You told him he better stop that drinkin’ and start followin’ Jesus or he was gonna lose his wife and maybe his life. Well, that talkin’ to turned him around and although it was an uphill climb, we’ve been on a honey moon walkin’ with Jesus ever since. Thank you.’”

He simply took an exited breath and kept going his face all alight “Before too long Tommy Barns walked up, I remembered him, but he didn’t think I did. Tommy’s dad had died and they were dirt poor. I use to sneak pencils and erasers on his desk, ‘cuz I knew he didn’t have any. The other kids, they were mean. They’d tease him because his clothes were ragged and most of the time dirty. I just tried to be his friend, although he wouldn’t talk much.”

Mr. Johnson laughed right out loud and put both hands over his ears. “He sure made up for it. Tommy talked my ears off that night. He told me about his wife, his kids, grandkids and…career as a preacher.” He chuckled at that. I did too.

He paused for a moment and stared into decades past. His smile dropped, but just a little. He looked me square in the eyes and pulled in a deep breath. “Billy told me about the first time he saw me sneak the pencil and eraser on his desk. ‘Dicky, I was gonna kill myself that day. You and Jesus, saved my life.’”

He crossed his arms and hung his head. I’m sure he was trying to keep the tears at bay. I know I sure was—and failing.

For an eternal moment we stood, outside of time. The room we were in was noisy and crowded, over a hundred people enjoying Thanksgiving dinner, but to me, and to him, it was silent, holy, and still.

He finally raised his head with a great big grin.

“Billy Cards, oh my Lord, he could curse a blue streak and had a temper that wouldn’t quit. Well, I hadn’t seen him since he got mad and stormed off the job.

“We were working construction. One day he blew a gasket, I don’t even know why. But he didn’t have to have a reason. He just blew and took a swing at the crew leader. And that was it, he was gone.

“Well, anyway, the reunion was pretty much wrapped up and we were walking to the car, when I heard him shout. I heard Billy shout everyday on the job for years. I’ll never forget that voice. I turned and there he stood. All smiles. ‘Hey Dick, hey man how’s it goin’? Bet you don’t remember me; I knew you’d be here.’ He ran up and gave me a hug. A hug from Billy Cards, who would’ve thought? A slug maybe, but a hug—no way.

“He used to get so mad at me. I must have told him at least a thousand times, Jesus could help him tame that tongue and temper. He’d just get mad. But there stood he stood—only he looked younger than I remembered. Oh, I suppose there were more wrinkles, but his countenance, was younger.

“After the hug Billy said, ‘Man, you led me to Jesus.’

“Well, I didn’t know that. Billy told me about the day he got fired. How he went out and got drunk, which was no surprise. But then, all that night he kept hearing my voice saying, Jesus loves you and You need Jesus and Jesus can help you. The next morning before his feet hit the floor, his knees did, and he asked Jesus to help, and…He did.

Now, a down pour from those blue skies, with a smile as big and bright as heaven, “God is so good, and His timing so perfect, He loved me a little more right then, just because, He knew I needed it.”

Without blinking, tears streaming, this man of God, royal with years of wisdom from serving The King said bold and unwavering, “And that treasure, real-eternal-treasure is worth more, much more than anything money can buy.”

At that moment, I think, he looked younger than me…at this moment, I know he does.

8 comments:

Glynn said...

This is how I start off my Saturday -- reading this with tears in my eyes. Thank you, Doug Spurling.

Doug Spurling said...

Thank you, Glynn, and our great God continues to do the same...with your visit, with your words -- He has loved me a little more just because He knew I needed it. Thank.You.

S. Etole said...

Treasure for the now and the hereafter. Beautiful.

Susan

Doug Spurling said...

Susan, thank you. How true - God's dividends are twofold.

caryjo said...

I absolutely loved this... for the "post" reasons and for the many reasons it attaches to my life. Reality prone.

Doug Spurling said...

Caryjo, thank you so very much. I appreciate you. Reality is where God IS reality prone.

katdish said...

Maybe Mr. Johnson's daddy knew what treasures his son already possessed. You certainly chronicled them here beautifully.

Doug Spurling said...

Kathy, thanks for your visit, always nice to see you. I'm sure his Daddy knew, even if his daddy didn't.