Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Finding Peace in Politics


I didn’t mean for it to start a minor firestorm. It was just a simple Facebook comment that went like this:
Thought before stepping into the voting booth:

"A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left." (Ecclesiastes 10: 2 NASB)

It may not seem like it, because of the topic, but, I'm not really into politics.

I rarely watch the news. As a matter of fact, for the entire summer, the only news I wanted to hear, was what the bass were biting.

Actually, to be honest, there is one news source I go to, a lot. Every day as a matter of fact.

I know you can’t believe everything (or most of) what you hear on the news; but, this place is different. It’s the only place I can tune in and believe every word. It’s the only real truth, I can hang my hat on. Tuning in is refreshing, peace-giving.

Not like other news sources, where it’s one sad story after another, all filtered to blame one party or the other…and I’m left feeling agitated and anything but peace.

This news source is well known, it’s heard by more people than any other, it’s in every language.  
I really love it, but, at times, I don’t necessarily like it.

It discloses dirt that makes me squirm. It unveils evil that makes me shiver. Yet, it provides a plan that gives me hope and leaves me with peace.

It is the purest compass pointing to Truth.

It’s time tested and proven.

Our Constitution is built around it.

This Good News Source, is alive and powerful and is more up to date than this morning’s paper or the President’s latest tweet.

It contains the very words of God.

It provides guidance in every aspect and element of life…even how to vote.

What is it?

By now, I’m sure you know, I’m talking about the B.I.B.L.E.

For those who believe it, how to vote is clear.

The political parties make it easy to see. They lay out their beliefs, they call it their platform, I call it their bible.

By reviewing their bibles in relationship to, The Bible, it becomes perfectly clear which side of the isle a Christian should stand.

But, none of it matters, if we miss the most important point of it all.  

The whole point of the Bible is summed up in Jesus words:

“‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”

Jesus is our example. He stood His ground, spoke the Truth, never compromised, yet, loved completely.

I pray, all of us, will receive His love, and act it out toward one another, no matter the color or side of the aisle. 

Then, we might see what the angels meant by, Peace on earth, good will toward men.


Remember, i love you, more importantly, 
Jesus loves you.








1 comment:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Wonderful and timely reflection here, Doug. In my last blog post, I used that exact same message about loving God and your neighbor when witnessing to a person, standing in the long line at the poll, who had been talking incessantly, and finally said a few things that made it clear he had no clue about the Christian message. Hope he does now! You can visit me at https://marthaorlando.blogspot.com
Blessings!