Saturday, January 5, 2019

My two moms meeting Jesus

All the words in all the world cannot express my gratitude for your kindness and especially your prayers, they were felt…and needed.
Just hours before the Celebration of Life started for my sweet step-mom. Only minutes after completing the final draft of the eulogy…I received word that my dear mother had also passed into eternity.
I was overwhelmed.
As the church was filling, my hands were trembling.
My family asked if I’d be alright.
I said, “No, I can’t do this—” swallowed hard, pulled in a shaky breath— “but Jesus can.”
At that moment, Jesus must’ve taken the wheel…I was able to breath. I was no longer trembling.
The near freezing drizzle of the day before had broke into a beautiful sunny day.
I watched a family, who knew the way to Roger’s Funeral Home, all too well. Three times in less than a year they stood the isle of the Church of Christ waiting to show last respects. A million times with tear-filled eyes they hugged each other’s neck.
Being humbled, honored, and knowing I was all together unworthy…somehow, by God’s grace alone, I opened my mouth and words came out.
The timing of it all was unlikely.
I wonder if the Lord orchestrated this so together my two moms could have a little talk with Jesus; you know, to set things in order. To keep the harmony of heaven, since they're going to spend eternity together. 
I don't know; the Lord does...and it is well with my soul.

Our flight that was scheduled to return to Florida, was redirected to Minnesota; where we'll do this all over again, and say good-bye, or rather, see-you-later, to our last parent on this earth.
We don't know when that moment will come, when we will breath our last. So, love each other well, ever mindful that, this moment may be that moment...any moment.
Making the timing of all of this, even more interesting...today is my birthday.

Thank you again for your prayers, I love and appreciate you.
“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.  In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know.”
 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?” 
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. (John 14)




1 comment:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

My heart breaks for you losses, Doug. I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers.
May God comfort you with His love and peace.