Sunday, March 13, 2011

and...

.
Tell me again.
I told you. He said He was going to Galilee…You should go too.

Who said, a man, an angel, Jesus, who?

A man, no wait an angel – actually two angels and then, Jesus! It was Him I know it!

Tell me exactly what was said; from the beginning. Word. For. Word.

Alright, just as we neared the tomb there was an earthquake; an angel rolled back the stone and sat on it. His face was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow. The guards shook, and became like dead men. The angel said, “Do not be afraid, I know you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here; He is risen. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. Now go quickly and tell His disciples that He is risen and He is going into Galilee.”

So we went out quickly from the tomb. And when we turned we saw Him. He, He, He looked so wonderful, He was glowing. But, at first, sorrow and fear blinded me. I couldn’t see The Truth standing right in front of me. But, then, my eyes were opened and there He was. Wonderful. Counselor. Prince of Peace. ALIVE. In the flesh! He is alive! You’ve got to believe me.

He said, “Rejoice!” We held Him by the feet and worshiped. “Do not be afraid. Go and tell My brethren to go to Galilee, and there they will see Me.” And then He was gone. Just like that.

Nothing else? No mention of…are you sure that’s everything?

Well, early this morning, like I already told you, the stone was rolled away from the tomb. We went in. And two men stood by in shining garments. Then, in fear we bowed our faces to the earth, they said to us, “Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen! Remember how He spoke to you saying, ‘The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.”And we remembered.

And then, there He was standing outside the tomb, He was dressed in white; He didn’t look like He’d just been crucified. He was fresh, clean… He spoke with such strength, such love; it was as if He were speaking with His eyes. And now, I’ve told what I have seen and heard, but no one will believe me. You – of all people – should believe.

How can this be? What have they done? Why should I believe...who am I to believe? Where is He? What…

“Woman, why are you weeping?” As I wept, one of them asked why I was weeping. I said to them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.” And then I turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but, I didn’t know at first it was Him. “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?”

I thought He must be the gardener, so I said to Him, “Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him, and I will take Him away.” Jesus said, “Mary!” He said my name. He was smiling; His lips weren’t swollen like before…He was beautiful.

And He said, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’”

Mary – He said, Mary? Is there more? What about m...

His eyes were the same yet deeper, stronger…Sabbath was past, I carried spices. I was startled and I dropped them. “Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He is risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid Him. But go, tell His disciples—and Peter—that He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him, as He said to you.”

Oh, now I see...

 Mary’s eyes filled moist with understanding…and. She whispered.

He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons. This same Mary once filled with demons but now filled with love, reaches out with both hands and lifts the hanging head of a dejected disciple.

“Yes, Peter He said your name. He said  Peter. He said Go tell my disciples…and Peter.”

And He knows your name.

****
Whenever the disciples are mentioned in scripture Peter is positioned at the front of the line. He is always mentioned first. Except for now; this is the only time he stands at the back of the line. And not only does he stand in back; he stands apart “….disciples and Peter.”

If I had been the risen Lord, I might have found a Pharisee or two first and showed them a thing or two. Or maybe I’d have dropped something on the head of the soldier that fashioned the crown of thorns – but not Jesus. He chose the outcast, the one He cast demons from. He chose to say her name, Mary. And He directed the angel to make special mention of another, one with a broken heart, one that felt like a cast aside good for nothing; the one who needed a little more love. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He still seeks to reveal Himself to the hurting. He still reaches out a nail scarred hand to those who’ve fallen, to those in need of a little more love.

If anyone is qualified to be a disciple it’d be Peter. But Peter felt disqualified. Has anyone else ever felt that way? Peter was the one who walked on water; the one to whom Jesus said, "Blessed are you Simon… upon this rock I will build my church"; he was close to Jesus. But…he’s also the one who looked at the wind and waves and sank; he’s the one to whom Jesus said, “Get behind me Satan.” And Peter is the one who denied the Christ, three times. Yet, he is the one the risen Lord calls by name.

Have you walked (or sank) in his shoes?

Has anyone else ever denied Him?

Have you ever sank at the sight of the waves?
Well, you’re not alone.

And the One who walks on water, calms the sea, defeats our enemy and forgives our sins…calls your name.


.

I've already prayed for you, if you'd like I'd be happy to pray with you. You can leave a comment or send an e-mail directly to me dougspurling@aol.com.
.

No comments: