Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wake-up

courtesy of photobucket.com
I write and tell stories with purpose. After years of hearing and not understanding my daughter recently said; “Dad, I finally get why you told your stories. They never made sense – but now they do. Wow.”


Likewise, the stories I tell here, with you, have purpose. That purpose is not explained but left unsaid for the reader to ponder. However, insomnia has beckoned an explanation for the story we shared a few days ago titled I AM. I may regret this tomorrow. But here goes.

In that story I shared how I mildly rebuked a young man for driving like the devil just before pulling into the church parking lot. Thank-you for kind words of encouragement via comments and e-mail etc. But…

What about Truth? What about integrity? What about what’s right – just because it’s right? No one mentioned that he shouldn’t have been driving like the devil and that letting him know may have thwarted a future wreck – may have saved the life…of the next Billy Graham, or you, or Johnny, or…?

He was speeding – he was driving recklessly. If a police officer had seen him; giving him a ticket would have been the right thing to do. So why, was a mild rebuke from me - a thing to repent of? He was rude telling me to go back where I came from – and the behavior went unnoticed, even by me, why? He was using my correction as an excuse rather than a reason – to stay in mire rather than climb higher. He was using my rebuke as a vehicle to carry him away from rather that toward salvation – and we applaud his efforts and rebuke mine. Why is this?

And I’m not really talking about this young man. I’m not even talking about moving violations. I’m talking about sins of the heart. Selfish disregard for others while speeding full steam ahead. About complacency.



“For the turning away of the simple will slay them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them” Proverbs 1:32


“ And it shall come to pass at that time That I will search Jerusalem with lamps, And punish the men Who are settled in complacency, Who say in their heart, ‘ The LORD will not do good, Nor will He do evil.’ Zephaniah 1:12


1) Look-up. Was I wrong – yes. Was he wrong – yes. And that is the point. We all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. We all are wrong. And The Lord is All Right. The point I was trying to make was that I AM is The Answer. The answer cannot be found in us. We cannot be good enough or nice enough or whatever enough…it’s not in us.

2) Love-up. What I said was correct technically. However my sin was not walking in love. In assuming that Speedy was a Christian – love would assume that a Christian would not behave in such a rude and unlawful manner. A Christian should be held to a Christ like Christ –ian standard.(Yes – I meant to step on your toes if you back-slide when you drive; if you break the law you are not being a good example of a Christian. Period. If you’re going to drive like the devil take the “I Love Jesus” bumper sticker off your car, put an “I love Baal” one instead and witness in reverse.)Where was I? Oh yeah, about my rebuke. Love believes all things, hopes all things. Love would have prayed, and thought; this young couple must be in need of salvation and they’re in a hurry to get to it. God Speed! I could have more tactfully introduced myself… as a police officer and told them that since it was Sunday and since they were going to church – I’d let them off the hook. No, wait. I guess I shouldn’t lie while I’m discussing being a Christian example. O.K. So, I should have introduced myself, shook hands, apologized for pulling out in front of his fast self and extended grace and acceptance, love and forgiveness. Then if the love of God would allow I’d lay a Dougism on him, “If you take your time – you’ll get there faster.” I might have reaped better results.

3) Pray-up. Either way those kids have gotten a heap of prayer at least from me that they didn’t have before. Sometimes we’re put in positions to help others that rub us the wrong way just to smooth out our rough edges and help them through  a rough spot. Most of the time this is a call to prayer. Discernment is necessary to know when to hold ‘em and know when to fold ‘em; when to speak and when to keep our peace. Prayer is the key.


4) Wake-up. Addressing sin is not wrong. Have we forgotten that the law reveals our wicked hearts? And in so doing makes us aware of our need for a Savior? The desire to just-fit-in and make everybody happy has caused Christianity to become watered down milk toast. And lukewarm looses in both arenas – neither hot nor cold is good for nothing but to be spewed out.


This post is not being written in parable. Let me say it in plain simple English.

If God is God then serve Him. If Baal is God then serve Him.

We are sinners. Period.

We need a Savior. Period.

Jesus is The Savior. Period.

It's high time. Period.

Some folks quit listening when they read words like this because they figure, “I don’t need that no more – I’m already saved by golly.” And they speed on by, head held high– no time for the world, a pious eye to the sky… they trip over pride. Others hear - not my voice, another sees - not my words; but the Words of Another. And that is why I tell my stories.


Today if you hear His voice harden not your heart because today is the day of salvation. Tomorrow never comes. Someone is driving like himself to take you out. The devil prowls about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.


I’ve already prayed for you and if you’d like I’d love to pray with you. You can quietly slip an e-mail directly to me at dougspurling@aol.com
.

No comments: