Friday, December 4, 2015

Have a Mary Christmas, not a Martha one

This is the season when families get together and someone always says, “Remember the time…”and then it begins. The laughter and memories and funny stories roll.
I wonder if once upon a time a certain family had memory like this…
“And after I’d fasted for forty days and nights, I was really hungry. Well, about that time the devil showed up and tempted me to turn stones into bread.”
Mary gasped. “The devil!”
Martha’s eyes got wide. “Oh dear Jesus, if only you’d have told me I’d have made you something to take along to eat.”
He looked at them and smiled. Touched Martha’s cheek, and nodded at Mary. “I had food to eat he didn’t know about….I told that snake, ‘It is written, man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’ ”
It was an old familiar passage they’d heard a thousand times.  
Martha stood, “You must be hungry. I’ll get some bread”
But Mary whispered, “You are The Bread.”
Mary scooted closer.
Martha walked away.
Martha got the meal, got the dishes, got the napkins, got the guests something to drink…and about the time she handed her sister a glass of water, she got mad...and dumped it on Mary's head.  Accidentally, of course.
“Jesus, don’t you even care? Can’t you see Mary just sitting there? Tell her to get off her butt and give me a hand.” 
Jesus didn’t blink an eye, "Martha, Martha, you’re worried and stressed over many things, when only One thing is needed. Mary has discovered it, and it won’t be taken from her."
Martha slapped another basket of bread on the table and stood there with her hands on her hips. She blew a wisp of hair off her face.
Mary dabbed a towel across her face, reached up and touched her sister’s hand and then patted the place next to her. “Sit.” She looked at Jesus and then back at her sister. “Eat.”
Martha crossed her arms and pursed her lips.
Jesus took a bite and nodded big. “This is good—really good” 
Martha lifted half a smile.
Mary stood, gave her sister a hug and whispered, “I’ll take care of cleaning up, when we’re through.”
Martha huffed, “All of it?”
Jesus laughed
Martha smiled.

Mary nodded. “He’s the Christ, let’s me merry.”

No comments: