Saturday, December 5, 2015

Joyful, Joyful music...or what

I stuck in the nozzle, leaned back against the van and watched the dollars add up much quicker than the gallons.

Then I heard it. Felt it. 

BOOM-BOOM-PA-CHUCK-BOOM BOOM BOOM-WACKA-WACKA-BOOM..,
Something like that.  

The noise coming out of the Chevy Cavalier with blacked out windows. It vibrated the atmosphere and some of the words polluted it. I think one of the speakers was blown and I’m pretty sure at least one the driver's eardrums had to be.

I wanted to spit and wash my ears out with soap. I had a few pleasant, loving and kind Christian thoughts about the situation. You know...stuff like: What kind of moron leaves his car running with the music (or whatever that is) blaring as loud as it can go as if everyone within a city block wants to listen to that trash?

I didn’t think about the times I’d done the same thing when I was young—only it was country music, not that bee-bop-trash-garbage-vulgar-junk.

I should be hearing Christmas music flowing from the gas station speakers, but instead I had to listen to…

Maybe I should pray for the punk…or that his speakers would totally blow.

Wait. What’s that I hear?

I peeked through the window at my three grandkids sitting in the van. They were laughing and then all of a sudden they started singing—at the top of their lungs.

They were singing a prayer they’d learned in school.

God our Father,
God our Father
Once again,
Once again,
We will count our blessings
We will count our blessings
Ah-amen,
Ah-amen.
We love each other!

As soon as they were through they’d laugh and then sing it again.

I leaned back and listened and do you know what?

I couldn’t even hear that other noise.

Out of the mouth of babes thou hast perfected praise.

LORD this season, and always, help me to be like these children. Let my life echo the atmosphere like a joyful joyful adoration song to You.

Those precious voices changed my mind from disgust to playing an old hymn in my head. Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee.

We may not be able to change the headlines. The violence will most likely continue. But we can change the dark around us, by turning on the Light [tweet this].

I’d like to say I walked up to that air polluting vehicle and made a friend and introduced someone to Jesus. I didn’t. Matter of fact I forgot all about that vehicle…until after we were gone. But now, thanks to a few giggling kids singing at the top of their lungs, tonight there’s some punk driving a white Cavalier with a blown speaker and he has someone praying for him.

Who knows...maybe we'll meet in heaven someday. 

And just to let you know, I’m not some ol’ fuddy-duddy against all music but my own. Check this out…  

Continue to let me know how I can pray for you at ipray4u@SpurlingSilver.com
& don't forget to check out my books for Christmas gifts.
   Doug








Joyful, joyful, We Adore Thee

Joyful, joyful, we adore Thee,
God of glory, Lord of love;
Hearts unfold like flow’rs before Thee,
Op’ning to the sun above.
Melt the clouds of sin and sadness;
Drive the dark of doubt away;
Giver of immortal gladness,
Fill us with the light of day!
All Thy works with joy surround Thee,
Earth and heav’n reflect Thy rays,
Stars and angels sing around Thee,
Center of unbroken praise.
Field and forest, vale and mountain,
Flow’ry meadow, flashing sea,
Singing bird and flowing fountain
Call us to rejoice in Thee.
Thou art giving and forgiving,
Ever blessing, ever blest,
Wellspring of the joy of living,
Ocean depth of happy rest!
Thou our Father, Christ our Brother,
All who live in love are Thine;
Teach us how to love each other,
Lift us to the joy divine.
Mortals, join the happy chorus,
Which the morning stars began;
Father love is reigning o’er us,
Brother love binds man to man.
Ever singing, march we onward,
Victors in the midst of strife,
Joyful music leads us Sunward

In the triumph song of life.




Please share...

No comments: