Saturday, June 27, 2020

Monsters in the Night

“Daddy!”

I rushed in the room “What’s wrong?”

Muffled, quivering words came from under the covers. “Th-th-there’s a mmmmonster”

“A monster?”

Her little eyes peaked out at me and then toward the corner.

I whispered. “Over there?”

She nodded her little head and ducked back under the cover

I tiptoed to the corner. “Right here?” 

Slowly, her wide, eyes appeared again. Her head nodded, slowly.

I reached for the monster

She gasped and hid once again.

I tiptoed to the door, flipped on the light.
“Look” I nodded toward the corner. Her toys splayed on the floor, instead of in their proper place.

She gulped. The covers came down revealing a grin and spilling a little giggle.

We hugged and prayed and she fell asleep with a smile.

There was no need to sound the alarm, alert the news, scream bloody murder, monster, racism, brutality or noose. I didn't even think about destroying the room or burning down the house.

All we had to do was stay calm and turn on the Light.

No comments: