Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Whirlwind

And God was not found in the whirlwind but in the quiet still small voice. Yet the appreciation for the quiet was birthed from the noise of the wind. So I’m thankful for both the wind and the quiet for each is a path leading to Him.

I’m exhausted – I think. December was December, Christmas and the whirlwind of activity it brings. January and into February was the birth of a grandson which involved a cross country flight to watch and wait and celebrate. Then after returning home for ONE day a 2,600 mile road trip for work. I’m exhausted – I’m pretty sure.

I returned home to our peaceful quiet little community late Sunday night. Before the dust settled; before I had my bags unpacked, before breakfast the next morning, my door bell rang. I was met by folks with hands full of notes.

“Glad you’re back…I took minutes for you…and this is what should go in the newsletter.”

I said. “Hi, thanks, um, you want some coffee?”

Nominated as Secretary of the R.A.C. Committee (not even sure what R.A.C. stands for – something to do with Recreation for our park) I’m responsible for keeping notes at the meetings. Also, I volunteered to write the bi-weekly newsletter. While I was away these privileges fell to others who were all too eager to relinquish the reins once I returned. Did I mention I’m plumb tuckered?

Monday get the newsletter written and printed. Go to grocery store…(I did. But I forgot to get toothpaste – I’m out. And I forgot to get the parts for the toilet – it’s broke.)

Tuesday get newsletter passed out, visit, visit, visit, answer same questions and tell same story a thousand times. “How was your trip? When did you get back? How’s the baby?

Wednesday…

Today is Wednesday I think. I’m sitting at this table writing, and you’re sitting at yours reading. My wife isn’t here. She walked to Bible study at the Clubhouse. I usually never miss. If I’m here – I’m there. But not today, I just didn’t have it in me. A room full of folks and smiles and hugs – too much today. Sitting here watching the grass grow, the birds fly and the windmill spin is just about all I can handle.

The windows in this room are open just a little. Can you hear that? Birds. They’re singing. What a beautiful sound. Did you see that? The blinds hanging over that open window swayed just a bit. And did you feel that gentle breeze that caused the sway? Nice.

Sitting here doing nothing after all the something I think I feel God.

The trees and the breeze and the grass and the sun and the shadow and the noise and the quiet, His creation, His handiwork, His presence presents His presents.

If not for the whirlwind I may never have appreciated this simple place of quiet rest.

And God was not found in the whirlwind but in the quiet still small voice. Yet the appreciation for the quiet was birthed from the noise of the wind. So I’m thankful for both the wind and the quiet for each is a path leading to Him.

Where are you today? I don’t know much but I know this: Wherever it is. God is there.

Oh and guess what… I don’t feel so tired anymore.

(P.S. In case you’re wondering. We have another bathroom to use while the above mentioned is out of order. And we found a spare tube of toothpaste. But thanks for asking.)

** Tired? Trapped? In a whirlwind? Having trouble finding God in the midst of any of it? If you’d like I’d be happy to pray with you. And since you’ve read this – consider yourself prayed for. I talk to God about you. I pray my writing will be His and He will touch those reading. I pray The Word will speak through these words **

Remember, I love you and more importantly Jesus loves you.

4 comments:

Connie said...

"And God was not found in the whirlwind but in the quiet still small voice. Yet the appreciation for the quiet was birthed from the noise of the wind."...amen...GOD breathed words...I too felt led to write of stormy winds and His Voice

Doug Spurling said...

Thanks Connie. It always amazes me (although it shouldn't since we talk to the same God.) How many times folks all over the world hear the same things, same theme from God at the same time. Keep listening for The Voice. Be Blessed Friend.

Anne Lang Bundy said...

Now I'll have to remember to listen for that still small voice if I ever stay awake at the end of the whirlwind. Mostly I just listen for it in the mornings, BEFORE the whirlwind.

Delightful post, as always, Doug. :D

Doug Spurling said...

Anne,

Thanks it was so refreshing to hear from you.

You're in good company sleeping like Elijah under the broom tree - before and after the whirlwind... some Angel food should do the trick. (1 Kings 19)